GHP 048: Navigating Recruiting Season in the Goalie Business w/ Import Sports Management Vice President Adrian Soun
In this week’s episode I’m joined by who has really been making a name for himself on the player agency side of the business, the Vice President of Import Sports Management, Adrian Soun.
We Chat about Importance of recruiting and the impact it has on the outcome of one’s career. Identifying traits of the best Junior Goalies at tier 2 or Major Junior level. Facing challenges like day-to-day distractions and politics as a Pro Hockey goaltender. Overview on the number of leagues in Europe, the top 5 leagues and countries, and the opportunities to play in some minor pro leagues. Impact of COVID on roster spots and the challenges to be faced in the next couple years. One strong and best recruiting hack that works well.
- Importance of recruiting and the impact it has on the outcome of one’s career.
- Difference between AAA and AA or A Goaltenders.
- Steps to be taken by kids and their parents on the recruiting side to jump to AA or AAA.
- Identifying traits of the best junior goalies at tier 2 or Major Junior Level.
- Advice to kids at Major Junior level or tier 2 to handle the movement at that level.
- Process of getting roster spots at the Major Junior Level.
- Steps kids who do not rely on an agent can take to make a jump.
- Most common underlying themes among successful college Goaltenders.
- Break down the process of recruiting and deciding where each kid should be sent.
- Things kids should do to get the exposure to avail a college commitment from D1 or even D3.
- Common underlying emotional and physical characteristics that successful guys typically have at the ECHL or AHL level.
- Facing challenges like day-to-day distractions and politics as a Pro Hockey Goaltender.
- Advice to younger generations to make sure that they are on the right path and avoiding any surprises on the way.
- Overview on the number of leagues in Europe, the top 5 leagues and countries, and the opportunities to play in some Minor Pro Leagues.
- Calibre of players in those 5 countries as opposed to that in North America.
- Best course of action and process to follow to get more European exposure, getting in touch with coaches and finding an opportunity to play in a good league.
- Impact of COVID on roster spots and the challenges to be faced in the next couple years.
- Best mindset to have through this period and the best course of action to take during the recruiting season.
- One strong and best recruiting hack that works well.
Thanks For Listening!
To help out the show:
Share on social
Tune in every tuesday to catch the next episode of the GHP!
If you enjoyed the episode I’d love to get your feedback! Feel free to e-mail or dm us on Instagram to chat about feedback!