GHP 046: How Tweaking Your Hand Positioning Can Change Your Game w/ Sean Murray from Pro-Formance Goalie Schools
In this week’s episode I’m joined this week by one of the leading goaltending coaches in Western Canada, founder and owner of Pro-Formance Goalie schools, Sean Murray.
We Chat about Coaching philosophy of Sean Murray and the reason for belief in those concepts. Common underlying theme or important skill possessed by tier 2 junior Goaltenders that aids in making the smooth transition. Work of drills to develop those skills and Sean Murray’s drill with his goaltenders. Secret behind goalie’s success in the national championship, memorial cup championship and Major Junior. Most important skill or concept goalies need to focus on to become a champion goaltender at the major junior level. Experience of working with Vladislav Tretiak and Martin Jones and the skills they possess.
- Coaching philosophy of Sean Murray and the reason for belief in those concepts.
- Hardest part transitioning from Minor to Junior Hockey and the area of struggle after getting there.
- Advice to younger self to face more success in Junior Hockey.
- Typical areas or struggle for Goalies transitioning to tier 2 Junior Hockey from Minor Hockey.
- Common underlying theme or important skill possessed by tier 2 Junior Goaltenders that aids in making the smooth transition.
- Skill that Goalies should start working on to make a smooth shift to Junior Hockey.
- Work of drills to develop those skills and Sean Murray’s drill with his Goaltenders.
- Things kids should be doing to be noticed and get on people’s radars on the recruiting side.
- Secret behind Goalie’s success in the National Championship, Memorial Cup Championship and Major Junior.
- Weekly routines with Goaltenders and the one consistent thing that contributed to the success.
- Advice to goaltenders to overcome game-time anxiety, manage stress and stay focused.
- Most important skill or concept Goalies need to focus on to become a Champion Goaltender at the Major Junior level.
- Struggles of Goalies making the transition from Minor hockey or tier 2 Junior hockey to Major Junior level.
- RAPID FIRE ROUND! – foot positions, position of hands, T-pushes, Back position, RVH when pucks below goal line.
- Experience of working with Vladislav Tretiak and Martin Jones and the skills they possess.
- Skills possessed by guys at NHL and developing those skills to get there.
- Biggest hack implemented with the goaltenders that they find an edge on the ice.