GHP 035: How To Preserve Your Body Like A Pro w/ Domenic Nicoletta from the Ottawa Senators
In this week’s episode I’m joined by another guest at the NHL level, the head athletic therapist for the Ottawa Senators, Domenic Nicoletta
We discuss the areas where goaltenders are susceptible to injury. Bust the misconception among amateur goaltenders and athletes pertaining to injury prevention. Routines that are to be included to ensure the right muscle activation. Recovery routines that are implemented for goaltenders. Best way for young goaltenders to manage their joint health to have long careers and we dive deep into Nutritional support provided to players and goaltenders before the game.
- Discuss the areas where goaltenders are susceptible to injury.
- Delve more into the areas which tend to be neglected where goaltenders ought to focus.
- Best way for goalies to avoid injury and prevent it from on setting.
- Several things goalies can do at home to significantly decrease the odds of getting injured.
- Bust the misconception among amateur goaltenders and athletes pertaining to injury prevention.
- Discuss on the common opinion and what needs to happen to prevent injuries.
- Prominence of Muscle Activation in injury prevention.
- Routines that are to be included to ensure the right muscle activation.
- Changes brought about by sticking to soft tissue work and focus on this side of athletic training regimen.
- In-season training at the NHL level and importance of keeping up with the training off ice.
- Shifts in programs, routines, and regimens since 2002.
- Important part of in season training that goalies must do to increase their consistency and performance.
- Recovery routines that are implemented for goaltenders.
- Changes in recovery routines and the reasons behind this.
- Modalities or tools used which helps increase recovery time drastically which aids to increased performance.
- Best way for young goaltenders to manage their joint health to have long careers.
- Importance of doing mobility work in view of joint health.
- Science behind joint health and the changes in routines over the years.
- Process to identify problems in serious injuries, rehab the area completely and get playing as soon as possible.
- Advice to young goaltenders going through injuries and manage the stress of wanting to get better, face setbacks and start playing.
- Nutritional support provided to players and goaltenders before the game.
- The optimal meal or routine to target for nutrition to get the best possible recovery after performance or exercise.
- Understand more about supplements and the precautions to be taken.